2013 Media Access Project (MAP) Grant
CreaTV San Jose Announces the Winning San Jose Schools of
The 2013 Media Access Project (MAP) Grant
San Jose, CA, April 29, 2013—CreaTV San Jose Board Chair, Charlotte Powers, and CreaTV Board Member, Javier Gonzalez, today announced the winning schools of the 2013 Media Access Project (MAP) Grant LIVE on CreaTV’s Classrooms Channel 28 on Comcast and on CreaTV’s website at www.creatvsj.org.
Joining Charlotte and Javier on the live broadcast were CreaTV Executive Director, Suzanne St. John-Crane, San Jose City Manager, Deb Figone, Dr. Xavier De La Torre, Santa Clara County Superintendent of Schools and Rosa Castenada, CreaTV Educational Coordinator.
This announcement launches the second cycle of CreaTV’s MAP Grant program. The first cycle of the program ran from April 2011 through December of 2012.
Watch what the students from the first cycle of the MAP Grant program had to say about their experience.
All elementary, middle and high schools in San Jose, whether public, private or charter, as well as MAP schools from the first cycle, were invited to apply for this exciting opportunity to be outfitted with digital media equipment, computers and software for a two-year period, beginning fall of 2013.
CreaTV awarded fourteen San Jose schools—five elementary, four middle and five high schools—with digital media equipment that will be delivered to the schools in time for the fall 2013 school term. The winning middle and high schools will receive field or studio kits valued at $50,000 each. The elementary schools will receive field camera kits valued at $5,000 each. In exchange for this award, schools produce half-hour TV shows every month that air on CreaTV San Jose’s Classrooms Channel 28 on Comcast and on CreaTV’s website www.creatvsj.org.
The winning schools of the 2013 MAP Grant:
- Carolyn Clark, Evergreen School District
- Franklin, Franklin-McKinley School District
- George Shirakawa, Franklin-McKinley School District
- Noble, Berryessa School District
- Sherman Oaks Community Charter School, Campbell Union School District
- Burnett, San Jose Unified School District
- Ida Price, Cambrian School District
- Sylvandale, Franklin McKinley School District
- Brett Harte, San Jose Unified School District
- Central County Occupational Center, Metropolitan Education District
- Lincoln, San Jose Unified School District
- Del Mar, Campbell Union High School District
- Mount Pleasant, East Side Union High School District
- Santa Teresa, East Side Union High School District
With the awarded studio and field kits, students learn how to make videos, tell stories and be more confident individuals by sharing their perspectives with the community. Schools produce PSAs, documentaries, short films, and cover various community, school and sporting events. As part of its mission to inspire, educate and connect San Jose communities, using media to foster civic engagement, CreaTV’s MAP Grant aims to level the playing field and bridge the digital divide that exists for students in San Jose. CreaTV San Jose believes that access to digital media and creative innovation tools is vital for our youth to effectively communicate, engage in their communities and be competitive 21st century workers.
Calvin Cook, Jr.
Calvin produces When the Gospel is Preached for Community Channel 15, which airs Wednesdays at 6:00pm.