Director of Fund Development and Engagement
Deadline to Apply: June 30, 6pm PST
CreaTV San Jose seeks a dynamic, flexible and innovative Director of Fund Development and Engagement to launch the organization to its next iteration. Our mission is to inspire, educate and connect San Jose communities, using media to foster civic engagement. Serving the San Jose and Silicon Valley community since 2008, CreaTV is a nationally recognized Community Media Center focusing on access to media and technology, the art of storytelling and issues of digital equity. As the media landscape evolves, we’re looking for an innovative leader to co-develop a long-term strategy for fund diversification and engagement opportunities that are relevant in a dynamic environment. The right candidate will have a strong analytical mind, can lead with empathy and understanding, and is a passionate, creative strategist.
The position reports and works directly alongside the CEO. We are a mid-sized nonprofit, with a unique funding structure that will require the organization to shift its strategies over the next 5-10 years. We are a financially stable organization entering our 9th year of operation and have recently hired our second CEO since being founded. CreaTV has a 10-year contract with the City of San Jose to provide services related to managing equipment, facilities and public/educational cable TV channels for the community’s use.
The City receives a percentage of funds from cable TV providers, which is passed on to the organization for these services. These funds represent approximately half of our annual budget; however, they are largely restricted to capital purchases. The other half of our budget is dedicated to operations and is made up from a combination of fees for service, program services, investment income, contractual income and development activities. As traditional cable television revenues will likely decline, the path to sustainability will be growth in current and new fund development strategies.
This is a senior level position with room for growth. We’re looking for someone who wants to make their mark on the organization and the community. We expect at least a 2-3 year commitment.
- Work with the CEO and Board of Directors to develop and implement fund development strategies.
- Identify and build relationships with foundations and corporations aligned with CreaTV’s vision.
- Assist CEO in making connections with potential partners and supporters in the San Jose and Silicon Valley community.
- Drive and grow individual donor engagement.
- Work alongside program staff and CEO to grow and develop fundable activities and outcomes.
- Assist in refining data collection and measuring meaningful impact.
- Assist and lead brand strategies and external relations messaging to position the organization with greater opportunities.
- See all fund development activities from start to finish, coordinating and delegating with leadership and appropriate staff.
- Assist with Board development as it relates to development and brand strategies.
- Assist in building relationships and engagement opportunities for CEO, Board and staff.
- Assist in developing staff’s capacity and connection to fundraising throughout the organization.
- Stay on top of funding trends locally, nationally and within our (and other related) fields of service.
- Facilitate annual fundraising event(s).
- Be a champion of CreaTV and community media.
- Embrace the mission of CreaTV and be a leader in the organization.
- Strong interpersonal, writing and messaging skills.
- Have knowledge and demonstrated experience in fund development and implementation strategies.
- Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members and other volunteers.
- Have the desire to get out of the office and build external relationships.
- Be a “self-starter” and goal driven to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls.
- Be organized and exhibit “follow through” on tasks and goals.
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 5-7 years minimum experience in professional fund development.
- Have a sense of creativity, a willingness to explore, and a desire to be innovative.
- A background or understanding of issues in the field of community media, nonprofit media or digital inclusion.
- A background in messaging or brand engagement.
- Graphic design skills.
- Knowledge of capital campaign strategies.
The position is a 40 hour/week, full-time, exempt position, and is supervised by the CEO of CreaTV. Competitive salary DOE with full medical, dental and vision benefits, employer-sponsored simple IRA, a substantial PTO package. Given the nature of this leadership position, full time telecommuting is not an option. People of color, women, formerly incarcerated people, LGBTQ individuals, and progressive visionaries are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please email PDF resume, cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications for the position to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Development Position. Also include at least one writing sample that you feel demonstrates a successful campaign, grant, or engagement strategy that you were involved in leading. Please, no phone calls or hard copies of materials through the postal service. Application materials due by June 30, 6pm PST.
$23 – 25 / Hour
Up to 25 hours/week; schedule to be determined
CreaTV San Jose is a non-profit corporation that manages a state of the art public media center in downtown San Jose. Our mission is to inspire, educate and connect San Jose communities using media to foster civic engagement. CreaTV manages four public and educational Comcast cable channels, airing over 3,200 locally produced videos in eight different languages each year.
CreaTV offers monthly workshops in video production to the public and provides a vast array of video production services to non-profits, cities, schools and individuals wanting to produce content for the channels. CreaTV has placed $600,000 worth of video equipment in over twenty sites serving primarily at risk youth. Our vision is to give everyone in San Jose the opportunity to have a voice by giving residents access to tools, training and distribution platforms. We believe this can transform and deepen our community conversation.
Under the supervision of the Operations and Production Manager, facilitates the video coverage, webcasting, cablecasting and archiving of local government meetings as assigned.
Typical Duties (may include, but are not limited to, the following):
- Direct and technical direct meeting coverage, switching between multiple cameras and other video sources when appropriate
- Set-up and breakdown of video equipment and meeting room facilities as needed;
- Monitor and adjust audio levels
- Build and key lower third graphics throughout the meeting as appropriate
- Index live video for video-on-demand access online
- Control pan, tilt, zoom cameras to quickly and accurately capture presenters
- Occasional adjustments of camera iris, gain and white balance
- Record and live stream meeting content, monitoring recording sources
- Update webcast recording schedule and attach meeting agendas to online video
- Adhere to strict meeting schedule as dictated by the government office
- Manage dub requests of meetings
- May be assigned night shifts
- Other duties as assigned
Desirable Skills and Abilities
- Comfortable in all technical aspects of video production, including studio production, tape machines, lighting and sound engineering
- Able to perform the following crew positions in a studio setting: director, technical director, camera and CG operator
- Understanding of webcasting and indexing video content of archiving;
- Basic troubleshooting of video gear
- An eye for grammar and spelling of the English language
- Convey a warm and professional public manner
Other Desirable Qualifications
- Flexible availability
- Ability to communicate in Spanish and/or Vietnamese
- Knowledge of proper English grammar and spelling
- Proficient in web navigation on a PC platform
- Ability to climb ladders and lift up to 50 pounds
- Ability to sit for long periods of time
- Possess sufficient eyesight and hearing to be able to operate a production switcher, monitor video and audio productions
- Possess manual dexterity and coordination required to operate small push buttons and switches associated with audio boards, cameras, switchers and VCRs
- Possess and maintain a valid California driver’s license, safe driving record and California minimum required automobile insurance
- Available to work evenings
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Possess strong customer service skills
Education and Experience
- Any combination of education and experience that provides the skill, knowledge and abilities required
- Two years of television production experience
- Two years of video production training at the college or trade school / occupational training level
Kim produces Outlook Video for Silicon Valley Channel 30, which airs Thursdays at 7:30pm, Sundays at 9:30pm and Tuesdays at 10:30pm.